Foot Rest vs Anti-Fatigue Mat: What's the Difference?
You’ve heard about the ill effects of prolonged sitting, from body pains to critical diseases, and you have probably heard that standing more is one approach to minimizing the risks. Well, prolonged standing can have negative effects, too. Standing or sitting, when done continually for long hours, is not healthy. The key is to find the balance between the two, alternating between sitting and standing, and there are techniques and tools you can use to get the most of both.
Foot rests and anti-fatigue mats are perfect support for this—so which of these do you need? Here we’ll take a look at their features to help you check the right add-on for you.
A Closer Look at Foot Rests and Anti-Fatigue Mats
Both a foot rest and a foot mat provide support to the feet, the legs, and the entire body.
It is primarily a foot stool that allows you to elevate your feet as you work while you are seated on your chair.
- It helps people who are shorter to get added height that will help them sit more comfortably in their chair.
- It relieves pressure on the legs, improving circulation and reducing the swelling brought by prolonged sitting.
- It also provides significant improvement in your posture as you sit, preventing common pains such as those of the lower back.
- Some foot rests are designed to move or ‘float’, so your feet and legs are constantly moving while you step on them.
- You will find foot rests with ridges and knobs that can massage the soles of your feet.
- There are cushioned foot rests that will pamper your feet and significantly improve your comfort.
Foot rests are ideal for people who sit for a long period of time. Getting the right one for you can significantly improve your comfort and overall experience.
Also called a standing mat, this one is your perfect partner when you stand for a longer period of time. It is especially perfect for people who are transitioning from prolonged sedentary sitting to a more active sit-stand lifestyle, whether at work or at home.
- A foot mat primarily works by providing added cushion to the feet, so you don’t get easily tired compared to when you stand on a hardwood floor.
- Most foot mats are made from flexible material, so they continuously shift as you stand on them. As a result, your feet and legs have to constantly adjust and move in response—continuous muscle engagement keeps blood flowing and keep muscles active and healthy.
- These mats have a rubberized backing, so they stay in place and won’t move around as you stand on them. They’re safe and steady, reducing chances of slips and falls.
- Like foot rests, some anti-fatigue mats have ridges and knobs that can massage the soles of your feet.
Anti-fatigue mats are perfect for people who work while standing or those who find themselves standing for most of the day. They are especially helpful for those who are looking to add more standing time in their work schedule—this will make the transition easier.
Combined, both foot rests and anti-fatigue mats are practical investments. They provide not only comfort but also wellbeing and improved health. Be sure to check the features so that you get what works best for you.
MotionGrey is a Canadian standing desk company that specializes in ergonomic furniture. We supply and install only the best quality standing desks and ergonomic chairs in the country.
Our products are designed with wellness as the focal point. From our electric standing desks to our office and gaming chairs, we deliver best value by putting your health, safety, and comfort as top priority. Boost your creativity and level up work performance. We want you to create great outcomes so we’re providing you only the best tools to make them possible.
Click here to view our selection of products. Got questions?